- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VJZKLXBB.dpuf Brooklyn Knit Chick

Brooklyn Knit Chick

Monday, September 18, 2006

Crazy Weekend of Knitting

So my fun filled few days of knitting began Thursday night at the Tea Lounge in Park Slope (I know, not technically the weekend, but just go with me. There I met the Park Slope Knitting Circle. It was really a great evening. First of all, love my Tea Lounge! If they sold yarn it would be my fave place on earth. Hmmm, that's an idea. I met a lot of cool knitters. My favorite moment in the evening was when Emily nonchalantly walked in carrying her spinning wheel. As you might imagine . . . she turned a few heads. She was nice enough to give me a little tutorial. I found it pretty cool, but lets face it. I'm out of control enough with the knitting. I can't get into spinning. . . right. . . (gulp).
(Emily on her wheel)

Then I saw this woman knitting a beautiful sweater out of yarn she spun herself. Well Alexandra started talking to me about how great spinning is. I said I don't really have any room for a wheel. She said "you can spin on a drop spindle". I said "you are not going to be satisfied until I start spinning". Well Alexandra, Emily, wait till ya hear what I did on Saturday!

(Alexandra and her super cool hand spun wool)

So next stop on Patty's tour of cool knitting spots was the New Jersey Sheep and Wool festival. It was my first ever Sheep & Wool Festival. It was also my consolation prize for not being able to go to Rhinebeck. It's the same weekend as my family reunion. Although I toyed around with the idea of disowning my own family, I came out of my yarn daze in time to realize that wasn't a great idea. As soon as my pal Francesca and I arrived we signed up for the 10:30 am spinning workshop (Happy now Alexandra??). We got a crazy drop spindle made from two CD's. It was really hard to get the hang of. Francesca said hers looked like dred locks. Of course, by the end of the workshop I was shopping for rowving. I decided to buy 6 oz because I figured that would take me a while.

(spinning class)


(Francesca spinning her dred locks)

Here are some picks from the parade of breeds, the adorable Alpacas. So cute you wanna take them home. A tiny boy, like four, came up to one of the Alpaca owners and asked "Can I feed the bunnies?". The guy didn't have the heart to explain the whole, they're not giant bunnies, thing, so he just said "I don't have anything to feed them.
(Parade of Breeds)
(Strangely evil looking sheep)



(nice bunnies . . .I mean sweaters) (SCARY sheep)
(Francesca with the sheep of her homeland!)

Way off in the corner of the barn, segregated from all the other sheep was the sad sight of racism in the animal kingdom. The dreaded KKK sheep:










Okay, not really. I think they were just keeping there coats clean until after the show. But we did think they looked just like KKK sheep. They kinda freaked me out.

The craziest thing we saw was the sheep dog demonstration. They were herding, wait for it, geese. It was one of the more bizarre sights in the world. I don't know why the site of dogs ganging up on foul to make them walk through an obstacle course, renewed my faith in humanity . . . but it did.
(get in there, don't make me have to get up!)

Of course what day would be complete without a sheep shearing a fleece auction. I was feeling full of love for these creatures that gave me my fiber. I called home and told David I was going to buy a small sheep to keep up on the roof deck. He was not amused.














(thank you for all you do for us)

(This one I just call - TRUST)

(why can't I own this sheep?)

coming up next . . . Knit Out NY!!!!!!

2 Comments:

  • Those strangely evil-looking sheep with four sinister horns are a rare breed called Jacob sheep. Spin on!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 PM  

  • Hi, Patty. Looks like you had a great weekend. It was nice meeting you at the knitting circle. (I was making socks.) Too bad I didn't make it to the NYC Knit Out. Looks like it was a lot of fun!

    By Blogger Lone Knitter, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home