- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VJZKLXBB.dpuf Brooklyn Knit Chick

Brooklyn Knit Chick

Monday, February 26, 2007

Dream jobs?

I'm typing here on another cold rainy San Francisco day. It's my day off from Jersey Boys and as I sit here 3000 miles from home, I can't help thinking about dream jobs. I do realize that for a lot of people (my niece Alana for one) I have a dream job, but everyone has different dreams. I saw my dream job on my TIVO last night. I was watching Shay Pendray's Needle Arts. I usually end up fast forwarding through most of the needle point and embroidery stuff, but today was a great show. They went to the Koigu studio. We got to see them dye the yarn, make it into skeins, package it, the whole deal. It's a family run biz, and if there was someplace like that within an hours drive of Brooklyn, I would be calling them right now for a job.

So here's my question, well two questions really . . .

1) What do all you knitter/blog readers out there do for a living
2) If you could do anything, what WOULD you do for a living.

post your comments, I really want to know what everyone's dream job would be.

When not daydreaming about playing with yarn all day as a job, I've been playing with yarn all day as a hobby. I'm still spinning up that yummy wool, alpaca, mohair I bought on e-bay. Here's my first spool full:


Here's my first plyed spindle full. I used the Andean plying technique.


I ordered a niddy noddy and a "Handy Andy" (a tool for Andean plying). I can't wait till they arrive.

I've also been playing with different textured stitches to see how they felt. I'd like to design a felted purse with textured stitches. Here's a swatch I made with a bobble and a popcorn stitch.

Prefelt:


And post felt:

I used some crappy hand spun so it felted REALLY fuzzy. The popcorn stitch completely flattened out, and the bobbles felted a weird shape. I'll keep experimenting. I want to design something cool, but not too weird.

Back to my strange two-way sweater. I'm almost finished. That makes it a 7 day sweater. Not sure it was worth 7 days though. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

2 Comments:

  • I'm a neuroscientist. I love my job, but I'm dabbling in design.
    Your felting experiments look like fun!

    By Blogger Veronique, at 1:48 PM  

  • I LOVE PATTY!!! She's the most amazing Aunt anyone could have! patty youre knitting is beautiful! im so impressed! love you! kinneret

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home