- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VJZKLXBB.dpuf Brooklyn Knit Chick

Brooklyn Knit Chick

Thursday, March 08, 2007

I LOVE Brooklyn

I took two glorious days off from Jersey Boys last weekend to go home to New York. I got in at 11:00 am on Saturday morning after taking the red eye right from the theatre Friday night. Unfortunately I had to change planes, so I was pretty tired. It didn't matter though, the moment I saw David and our beloved Brooklyn, I was wide awake. After we dropped off my bag we headed over to Grand Army Plaza to go to the Farmer's Market. It being kind of between seasons, there wasn't much, but there's always baked goods and apple cider! Next it's a walk through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden . . . oh did I mention it was 58 degrees and sunny and PERFECT. Then we strolled over to our beloved Brooklyn Library to look around at whatever exhibit was in the main hall (are you beginning to see a theme. I'll give you a hint . . . it starts with "Brook"). Now it was nap time. Next a stroll through Park Slope to look at all the shops on 7th & 5th Ave. After a fab Park Slope dinner at one of our fave places with some friends, we headed back home for pie (from the Farmer's Market) and a roaring fire. GOD I missed my fireplace. This is where I spent most of my Monday knitting

Sunday I had brunch with friends (in Park Slope, of course), and then headed into Manhattan to the Museum of Arts & Design. Only knitting would pull me out of Park Slope with only three precious days at home. I went to go to the Radical Lace & Subversive Knitting exhibit. It was interesting, although not as radical as some of the stuff we can see on the web. Here's the Times review.

Here are tiny gloves (yes they are really knit)










Here's a pretty damn cool dress with ichords made from all different materials:















Here's what the NY Times incorrectly identified as a work made after the 9/11 restriction on knitting.


It didn't have anything to do with that, it was made before that and the artist commented that the week the work was finished was ironically the week knitting was banned on airplanes



Here are "lace" skirts made from paper doilies


This is lace hand cut with an exacto knife. It was HUGE. It would make me want to shove the exacto knife in my eye.


This was a computer program that make knitting charts out of photos or video. It was more than just that though. The videos were talking about big business and child labor and mass produced items. There was also a knitted NIKE logo.

Lace skulls:


This was a lamp made from knitting fiber optic chords together:


This was a model of a giant knitting machine. There was also a video of the actual knitting machine at Mass MoCa

A knitted mushroom cloud:

Clothes knitted out of newspaper

Next it was back home for a roaring fire and hot chocolate. That evening we went to a movie at BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music, the theme continues).

On Monday another lunch with a friend in Carroll Gardens, and then knitting by the fire all day. By Monday afternoon, it had dropped about 30 degrees and started to snow. Here's the view out our window



A perfect day to stay in. When David got home it was homemade Risotto and a movie.

All in all, a PERFECT three days in Park Slope Brooklyn. Then it was back to San Fran for another week of shows. My mom is visiting me now, so I'll post more later.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Glad you had a fun few days at home! The knitting show looked really cool. I'm in Baltimore now and loving it - found a cute knitting store the other day called A Good Yarn. Miss you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

  • I really like your review of the RAD lace exhibit. I share your views, but you express them much much better than I can. I hope you don't mind if I link to this post on my blog.

    By Blogger shopgirl, at 10:40 PM  

  • Link away!

    By Blogger Valerie, at 4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home