- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VJZKLXBB.dpuf Brooklyn Knit Chick

Brooklyn Knit Chick

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Count down, cast offs, and goodbyes

The count down begins. I have 8 more shows, 6 more days, 4 rehearsals left of Jersey Boys before I'm HOME. . . . back in Park Slope, back in my own bed, sitting in my garden. Then, a week from today I will start my training at The Point. Yeah! I should be packing today since Wed - Sun I need to be at the theatre at noon. I'm avoiding it by blogging and watching The Colbert Report. I've been here for nine months, so I have a LOT to pack.

Yesterday was a big day for cast offs and stash busting. I finished two of the "left over cotton projects". My mother in law gave me a ton of white and red cotton yarn. She had been given a half finished sweater that neither of us liked or wanted to finish, so we frogged it and reballed it. First I made the white cotton cable sweater


The pattern called for the sweater to be knit straight (with no side shaping),
but I added side shaping since cotton has no negative ease. It turned out pretty good, but I could have gone narrower in the waist. I really like the cable on the shoulder and the roll neck line.

I still have a lot of white cotton left, but not enough to do the lace cardigan in Vogue's summer 07 issue, so I'll buy some more. Why is it that the attempted stash busting always lead to buying more yarn??? Does that happen to any of you?

As for the red cotton. I whipped up this little cable tank.




Next cast off from yesterday was a simple garter stitch triangular shawl/scarf. It was made from some cool black and white boucle yarn (more Mother in law left overs!) mixed with a ball of leftover black mohair from my cotton/mohair sweater.


Of course you can't have cast offs, without cast ons. Continuing my trend of stash busting, I'm making a little lace bolero from my two leftover skeins of Rowan Polar from my Winterwonderland sweater.



That's count down, cast offs, and now to the goodbyes . . . Yesterday was my last Monday with Chicks with Sticks. Sadly I could only stay a half hour (more about that later). I was glad I came by, but sorry I missed so many folks. I can't thank this group enough for welcoming a stranger into their midst nine months ago. It's been my home away from home and, many weeks, has been the only part of my week that I've liked. This group was a big part of my decision to change my career and my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I ended my evening going to a benefit performance for BCEFA. It was a join effort by the casts of Jersey Boys and Avenue Q. They were great! Some highlights for me . . . the puppets of Avenue Q auditioning for Jersey Boys singing "God I hope I get it" from Chorus Line. The swings from Jersey Boys singing about how hard it is to be understudying all those roles to the tune of Avenue Q's song "It sucks to be me", but the winner has to be Jake Speck's original country music song - wait for it - "You're only gay if you take it". Beyond words.

Right before intermission was the auction. At one point when the bidding had slowed John Hickman offered to put on a red bra if they got a bid of $1300


John Hickman, Drew Gehling, Jarrod Spector

Here's another pic from the auction. This was for the Jersey Boys package. It went for $2800!


The boys singing their movie medley


The whole cast singing the finale


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I love all your FO's!! so cute. Was great talking to you yesterday. Good luck packing and I will call you next week.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home